Dear realtor, I can't believe you really called to tell us to come to the title company to sign papers. Thanks for smoothing things over with the buyer who seems to think he's entitled to all the fuel in 2 underground tanks, AND the wood in the shed. Dear buyer, why did you think we would just give you all the wood in the shed? It does cost money, you know, and we DID agreed to 1/2 the fuel oil. Dear title company, thanks so much for understanding all those documents that we signed. I truly hope and pray that they are what you said they are, since you were helping us get out of the office in a hurry so I could get back to work. Dear co-workers, thanks for working short-handed for a little while so I could go sign papers to sell the house that didn't want to let us go for the last two years.
Dear house, you have finally moved on to a new owner. I am so proud of you. You look so nice...all dressed up in new carpet (now 2 years old), and many many many new features (tiled woodstove corner, 3 car garage, lovely apartment above the garage, a fantastic new water system, new roof, a great big woodshed, a well manicured lawn now covered in its white winter coat, and so much more). You will make the new owner so cozy and comfortable.
Dear built-in china hutch, how I shall miss you. You have displayed my wedding china, my teapots and cups, the miscellaneous beautiful vases and platters that have been acquired through the years, and gorgeous bowls full of flowers, and colorful nosegays and bouquets from my children's weddings. Will you please tell my future home to have your sibling ready and waiting at attention on the wall with lovely glass doors and expectant shelves?

Dear woodstove, you have warmed many hands, feet and buns. You've brought sighs of relief and smiles, heavy eyelids and cozy naps, toasty homeschool lessons...(or were you just pretending to be awake, Ang?) By your lovely warming fire, there has been laughter with friends, serious talk with family, cold neighborhood teenage boys who shoveled the driveway for a fee (and needed your warmth coupled with hot chocolate and cookies), lovers whispering about their bright future, and darling grandbabies playing in their carefree way.

Dear beautiful new door, you have opened to invite friends and family, both local and from afar. I wish you could come with me. You will now open to new folks, and invite them in. I am ok with that. I just hope my children will be.

Dear Boulder Avenue...thanks for the memories. I shall NOT miss your bumpy surface, but I will forever love you for what you represented during this part of my life. Dear Jim, thank you so much for all the tender loving care you poured into making this place our HOME.
6 comments:
This made me cry. Love the way you wrote it. I think you will always treasure this post.
*tiny sob*
I'll miss it.
All of the familiar houses are gone now...maybe Alaska isn't home anymore.
Well, it made me cry clear through. IF I just think of it and not what lays ahead, it is heart breaking. But I know that there are great times and memories to be made in the days ahead. God bless and keep you and Jim. Have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!!!connie
And Rebekah, from experience, home is always where Dad and mom are. love you.
Wow! I am not sure why, but I cried all the way through your post. There has been so many ups and downs with selling the house. I am so happy for you that it is finally over.
I am actually well enough to come to church tonight!!! Can't wait!
Good Bye home that housed my bosom buddy for all these years. I know no matter where she is, that she will be my friend, try to enjoy yourself without her, for I never could.
Ok, me wanting to cry too! What a lovely life you have had at this home.
Post a Comment