Friday, May 8, 2009

The Saga of the Collapsed Coffee Filter

I don't know if any of you have this trouble, but I have been making coffee for Jim and me for quite a few years. Suddenly, I have to walk on eggshells with the coffee pot, or the filters, or SOMEthing. Our coffeepot isn't very old, so I don't think it is a problem with the pot, necessarily. I cleaned the pot according to coffeepot cleaning instructions. I have been using the same cheap coffee filters from Sam's Club for all the years I have lived in Alaska. So why all of a sudden do my coffee filters collapse? I wonder if the manufacturer has done something to change them. I have no idea.
This morning, Jim pours a cup of coffee, and states emphatically, "NO GOOD!" I thought the coffee creamer was no good, but ALAS! His cup was full of grounds....again.
Our pot has the beautiful option to "set up" the night before, but that doesn't work for us anymore since I don't trust a damp filter. Any suggestions?
I suppose I will just have to go buy some expensive filters and see if there is any improvement.
I need to go write that on my list...........

4 comments:

Happy Girl said...

You might want to buy a reusable coffee filter. I don't believe that they are very expensive and you can get them at walmart or fred meyers or someplace like that. I don't like how they get stained brown and I feel like they're allways dirty, BUT you never have to buy coffee filters again and you don't have to worry about using one or two, and they can't collapse since they are plastic and mesh something or other.

Just a thought. =)

The funny thing is I could totally see Mr. Jim looking at his cup as he says "No good". Haha.

Grammie Kim said...

Happy Girl, I had no idea there was such a thing. Surely it would be cheaper than replacing the coffee pot, which is what my poor hubby is contemplating.
Thanks for the heads up.

Mo said...

Make sure your basket is dry.....or you could buy filters that were too large for your size and kinda fold them over the sides.
There's nothing like a mouth full of coffee grounds to start your day.

Mrs.Lambert said...

mmmmmmmmmm...crunchy...(:

pretty teacup(: