Wednesday, April 1, 2009




This moose was giving Tyler an excuse to NOT take the trash out. She decided to bed down behind the garbage cans, and has gotten quite comfy with our neighborhood this week. She was eating our neighbor's tree...notice how she was walking on top of the snow in the first pictures, and then...well, you can see. This post is mainly for my girls who probably miss Mrs. Muffin...she is, by the way, probably carrying a baby that will be born at the beginning of summer (so saith Jim). But for the rest of you who don't get to see moose many times in the course of your life, this is for you, too.

Wish I could capture a picture of a snowshoe hare for Mobunny. Maybe someday...

7 comments:

TO BECOME said...

Kim that is so amazing. That is the first time I have ever seen a real moose.The snow is breathtaking. It is so hard to believe if you have lived on the coast most of your life. Thanks for sharing the picture with me. connie

Grammie Kim said...

Connie, I thought you might like it. I told some girls at church last night that I had posted moose, and one said, "Oh, you really ought to stick to grandbabies..." It becomes commonplace to us, and the moose are sometimes a nuisance.

One year we had a rogue calf whose mother had probably been hit by a car. The poor thing was starving, and it was dumping trash cans over to get food...but it was dangerous because it was trying to survive, and wouldn't be shooed away. I have a picture of it with its nose in my trash can. The authorities had to put it down, because obviously it was not going to survive. It just wasn't old enough and not eating enough sustainable food.

The moose in my pictures managed to sniff out the pile of leaves and roots pulled from our garden last summer, and pawed through the snow to have a frozen snack. I might add that the pile of garden leftovers was very big, and the snow very deep on top of it. She didn't mind at all!

TO BECOME said...

Kim, that is so, I don't have the words to express how I feel. We take our food so for granted barly stopping to give thanks at times. I loved the moose and thank you so much for sharing it and the post with me. connie

Mrs.Lambert said...

this is the moose that tries to attack josh every morning when he starts the car for work!!!or so he says...probly just an excuse to talk about how he's gonna shoot something(:

Grammie Kim said...

Yes, Ang, I am sure that's the problem...
It IS scary to come face to face with one, even yards away.

blondevue... said...

:) Yes I suppose it really has become common place to us. These pictures are really nice though, and shows the beauty of the animal.

In Hawaii I could never get used to the fact that once it was dark I didn't have to watch out for moose while I was driving! Once an Alaskan always an Alaskan I guess. :o)

Mo said...

I'm waiting..............for the hare picture.